MKTE 2019 Market Presentation Roundup
Event Africa Contributor 04/10/2019 Uncategorized
Magical Kenya Travel Expo (MKTE) enters its final show day on 4 October in Nairobi with an exploration of two fast-growing market segments not to be ignored: India and Africa.
But first, a recap of some of the insights from day one and two.
Magical Kenya Travel Expo (MKTE) brought hundreds of exhibitors, hosted buyers and media together to explore the many tourism products and services available in the country, East Africa, and the wider continent. The show, which took place from 2-4 October 2019, had unique market presentations where local and African tourism stakeholders could learn more about their respective source markets – the United Kingdom, North America, China, Europe, India and Africa.
On Wednesday, 2 October, MKTE experts shared their insights on the UK and Chinese markets. The UK market, until very recently, has long been Kenya’s biggest source market, overtaken very recently by the US. That said, Brits still love visiting the country and its surrounds. Trends for the UK and Ireland include:
- Increases in overseas visits and holidays by between 3-4%
- £35 billion total spend on outbound travel by UK residents pre-departure
- UK public intent to travel in 2019 is higher than ever before
- Increased demand for mid- to long haul bookings
- Brexit could lead consumers to adopt a ‘wait and see’ attitude, which can ultimately affect travel bookings
- Kenya Tourism Board’s target markets for this region are London, Manchester, Edinburgh and Dublin
On Thursday, 3 October, MKTE experts shared insight into the North American and European markets. The North American market – more specifically the United States – has recently overtaken Great Britain as the largest source market for Kenya’s tourism. This is closely followed by the UK and Europe. Insights for North America include:
- 33.4% expect to travel more for leisure in the next 12 months, with 32.2% expecting to spend more for leisure
- Health and wellness is a growing trend, with 32.9% of travellers making this the focus of their holidays
- 44% travelled with their children more than once in the last 12 months
- 76.9% used online travel agents in planning their trips
- There is a rise in purpose-driven travel and adventure travel
- There’s a high demand for culturally immersive experiences
- There is increased interest in Nairobi as a destination outside of the usual touristic experiences
The European Market Presentation was very well attended, which allowed exhibitors and delegates to interact and engage with a wide range of international European hosted buyers from all over the EU. Insights for this market segment include:
- KTB’s targeted segments for Europe are the glamorous traveller, family holidaymakers, culture lovers, and security and comfort seekers
- Their target markets in Germany will focus on Baden Wuttenberg, Munich, Frankfurt and Hamburg
- Their target markets for France are Paris and Lyon
- The French market is interested in unique getaways off the beaten track, and they are more likely to travel with their whole family
Top Trending Adventure Activities by Region
Experts explained that adventures are perhaps not as daring as one might think. A hike is considered an adventure if it’s something active and exciting for a traveller. Here are the top adventure activity trends by region, in order from 1-5.
- Africa: safari, eco-tourism, hiking, birdwatching, cultural
- Asia: cultural, eco-tourism, sustainable trips, hiking, climbing
- Europe: hiking, cycling, eco-tourism, cultural, sustainable trips
- North America: hiking, cultural, eco-tourism, sustainable trips, culinary
- South America: eco-tourism, hiking, sustainable trips, cultural, culinary
- All Regions: hiking, cultural, eco-tourism, sustainable trips, culinary
Don’t miss the final two market presentation sessions focussing on Africa and India today. These sessions are open to all participants. We encourage exhibitors to use this opportunity to meet buyers from these markets.
Event Africa is at Magical Kenya Travel Expo doing the show’s electronic daily news. For more information on MKTE, visit mkte.co.ke.