Africa Tourism Leadership Forum: Next Stop Durban
Event Africa Contributor 29/04/2019 Industry News
Themed “Stimulating intra-Africa Travel through thought leadership” the 2019 Africa Tourism Leadership Forum (ATLF) is the only Pan-African public-private tourism leadership dialogue platform that is convened, led, and hosted by Africans in Africa. The African Tourism Board is a strategic partner for the event.
The 2019 ATLF and Awards will be hosted by Durban KwaZulu-Natal Convention Bureau in Durban, under the auspices of the Provincial Government of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa from 29 – 30 August 2019. It is convened by African Tourism Partners with the support of its key strategic partners including BDO South Africa, NEPAD, Africa Travel Associations (ATA) and Voyages Afriq.
According to Mr. Sihle Zikalala, Provincial Minister for Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs in the KwaZulu-Natal, gatherings like ATLF allow thought leaders in Africa to bring into the limelight exceptional industry developments and inspiring stakeholders who work hard to build a sustainable African travel and tourism industry.
“As the proud host of ATLF 2019, we look forward to welcoming all stakeholders from across the continent and the rest of the world, not only this innovative event but, also to experience what South Africa and our beautiful Province offer the world. ATLF is an African Project that we must all be part of and support,” says Mr. Zikalala.
The 2018 ATLF and Award edition was held in Accra in Ghana. It was hosted by the Government of Ghana through Ghana Tourism Authority and its parent Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture. This was attended by Tourism Ministers as well as over 500 public and private sector executives. These included representatives of UNWTO, NEPAD, Diplomatic Corps, Directors-General, global hotel brands, travel management companies, associations, regional executives of airlines, tour operators, educational institutions, researchers and many other industry professionals.
Kwakye Donkor, Africa Tourism Partners’ (ATP) CEO congratulates KwaZulu-Natal Province for winning the bid to host the 2019 ATLF and Awards.
“The Provincial Leadership has truly exemplified true values of thought leadership by aiming to bring together industry leaders in Africa to Durban, to once again advance their commitment to promote intra-Africa travel, dialogue and recognize change-makers in Africa’s tourism development as a collective,” says Donkor.
Among the key focus areas of dialogue during the 2019 ATLF and Awards are:
- The present and future imperatives of Visa Openness, E-visas and Air Connectivity
- Outlook on the impact Business and MICE Tourism on national economies
- What it takes for Africa to harness the multi-level Chinese outbound travel market
- How to embrace and optimize disruptive technological innovation for intra-Africa travel
- Delivering critical travel and tourism infrastructure with Development Finance Institutions
- Spotlight on wildlife and biodiversity conservation as strategic tourism assets in Africa
- Skills Development and Capacity Building across the sector value chain and more
- Practicalities of Measuring the Return on Destination Marketing Investment