The role is for a talented and experienced UX designer to analyze, design innovative digital solutions using human-centered design principles.
This role has a significant focus on the UX analysis. This would include designing and conducting of user workshops and extracting data needed to inform the final design solution. The person will be working within the international development space on social impact projects targeting low-income communities in Sub-Saharan African and other emerging markets. The ideal candidate must have the ability to understand business requirements and technical limitations.
They will need to design for mobile devices ranging from low-level feature phones to high-end smartphones, tablets and desktops.
The person will be required to design for new and existing mobile sites as well as the E1M content management system. The UX designer will be required to work in an agile team with UX analysts, developers, content designers, programme designers and testers.
The role will make an impact on the company’s current design processes and effectiveness and will contribute to improved turnaround times and quality of all user experience designs the company offers.
- Implement all product visions defined by the programme designer by researching, sketching, prototyping and user-testing experiences for digital products and mobile devices in particular.
- Collaborate with programme designers, UI designer, content designers, clients and internal stakeholders to understand and analyze requirements that will feed into final design solutions.
- Plan and conduct stakeholder and user consultation workshops to gather business requirements, user requirements and asses current user behavior.
- Deliver design specifications, wireframes, mockups, storyboards, interactive prototypes and final assets.
- Design for a wide range of devices and interfaces.
- Work closely with the UI designer to define all visual design specifications.
- Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions.
- Conduct expert reviews and heuristic evaluations.
- Take a human-centered design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs.
- Ask smart questions, take risks and champion new ideas.
- Present and define all your design decisions, solutions and design thinking to the head of UX and design, project manager, programme designer and clients.
- Create and maintain a suitable asset management process and repository.
- Keep the team up to date with the latest design trends and changes to industry standards.
- Research, analyze and design accessible solutions for a range of disabilities and literacy limitations.
- Five or more years’ experience as a UX designer with a proven track record.
- Two or more years’ experience in UX analysis.
- Strong design and analysis experience in mobile and app design.
- Experience in graphic design will be an advantage.
- Portfolio for work must be presented in the interview.
- Know the human-centered design (UCD) process and use this as the base for all design work.
- Ability to plan and conduct user research, user testing, A/B testing, rapid prototyping, heuristic analysis, usability and accessibility concerns.
- Have a degree or certification in any of the following:
- Human Factors International Certification (CUA or CXA)
- HFI or other course completed in UX Design and or UX analysis
- Visual communication, graphic design with user experience design or human-centered design as a subject
- Any other qualification with analysis and human-centered design as a focus study area
- Expertise using software such as Balsamiq, InVision, LucidCharts/Visio, Adobe Photoshop, Tools like Hotjar or similar.
- Be a team player with the ability to collaborate closely with the Head of UX and design, UI designer, developers, programme designers and content designers.
- Ability to work with programme designers and clients to understand detailed requirements and design complete user experiences that meet client needs and vision.
- Ability to analyze client requirements, user requirements and user behavior to specify the design solution
- Knowledge and understanding how mobile-first and responsive design works and is used in designs
- Communicate clearly and effectively. Ability to effectively communicate design processes, ideas and solutions to the team and clients.
- Ability to research the latest design trends and ideas including what inspires African youth
- Open to objective criticism on designs and willingness to improve upon it
- Comfortable working directly with clients
- Be passionate about working in the social impact environment and UX Design and general.
- Designing for African emerging markets and understanding their culture and behavior with mobile devices.
- Be the kind of person that goes that extra mile to do a great job.
- Be humble and collaborative.
- A genuine passion for ‘doing good’ (but an awareness of how cheesy that sounds!).